Best Yoga Mats for Bad Knees (2020 Review)
Do you like yoga but have a bad knee?. Then, you need the best yoga mat for bad knees. A bad knee can cause you real pain, whether the discomfort comes from over-exercising or a tiny twinge.
This uneasiness leads to a disruption in your workout plan in the long run. Many people with bad knees opt for yoga because it encompasses low-impact exercises that aid in improving overall leg strength. During yoga, you are required to have props, such as yoga mats and knee cushions, which are used for yoga poses without irritating your bad knee and blocks.
Top Reviewed Yoga Mats for Bad and Sensitive Knees
1. Aurorae Classic/Printed Extra Thick and Long Mat
If you are looking for a cool yoga mat for bad knees, then consider this quality mat that is flexible with improved muscle strength. This special yoga mat has an extra cushion to keep your knee safe during exercise. It is environmentally friendly and does not slip anyhow because of the tight and comfortable grip it offers. It also comes with a carrier bag you can easily move around with. With this yoga mat, you don’t get the sinking feeling as in some other typical yoga mats. It has a thick cushion to ensure safety for your knees and feet.
The Aurorae Classic Mat can be used by all gender, men, women and even young children. You can also use this unique yoga mat for outdoor exercises and activities such as fishing and camps.
- Comes in multiple colors
- Accompanied by a microfiber towel (sold separately)
- Each mat has a slip-free Rosin
- Dimensions: 72 x 24 x 0.25 inches
- Weighs 3.7 pounds
- Do not have an odor
- Safe and non-toxic
- Stable and does not sink
- Slippery on hardwood floors during its initial stages of use and after long usage.
2. Incline Fit Yoga Mat with Carrying Strap
If you are looking for that extra-long incline yoga mat, then this is it. It gives you a new and cool experience with no knee pains. It is longer, measuring 0.5 inches, and is designed with very soft and thick foam to ensure the safety of your feet and knees. The Incline Fit Yoga Mat resists moisture.
It is portable and easy to carry around. You can choose from a variety of colors available in stores.
- Moisture resistant
- A perfect balance of cushioning and firmness
- Lightweight and durable
- Dimensions: 24 x 7 x 7 inches
- It is 0.2 inches long
- Weighs 3.4 pounds
- Non- slip
- Relatively cheap
- Moisture resistant
- Offers steady support since it is non-slip
- Safeguards feet against injuries. It has an excellent cushioning foam material
- Can slip after long-term usage
3. Manduka PRO Yoga Mat
The Manduka PRO Mat is known for its long durability and ability to withstand an intense amount of stress and exercise. So, if you are looking for a highly durable yoga mat that will walk you through for a long time, this is the piece for you. Dirt and sweat from your body are barred from entering the mat because of its closed-cell surface special design. It is cushioned to offer comfort and protect your knees and feet from damage and injuries.
Most people would love yoga mats that are not bouncy and will not require extra cushion support. And the Manduka PRO Yoga Mat substantially suits such needs.
- Made up of elastic material
- Ultra-dense cushioning for support
- High-performance grip
- Available in 5 colors
- With closed-cell surface
- Dimensions: 85 by 26 inches
- Thickness: 6mm
- Weighs 9.5 pounds
- Material: PVC
- Highly durable
- Offers extra comfort and cushion
- Firm grip ensures the safety and prevents injuries
- Very wide; hence, large surface for fitness sessions
- It is an environmental hazard since it is made of PVC material
4. Matymats Non Slip TPE Yoga Mat
Some people are heavy sweaters, and they find great difficulties using yoga mats. If you are the type, this brand has special features to contain all your challenges. It has a cushion to safeguard your knees. The Matymats Non Slip TPE Yoga Mat is elastic to move and match with muscle contraction and relaxation and is made of an elastic thermoplastic elastomer. Everything you need for a yoga mat is catered for in this excellent piece. It has an excellent and comfortable grip to prevent slipping.
Do you have hypersensitive skin? Well, the Matymats Non Slip TPE Yoga Mat is the best yoga mat that considers this biological nature.
- Made of an elastic material with excellent cushioning foam
- Weighs 2.1 pounds
- Excellent grip
- Relatively cheap
- Has a double non-slip material to ensure complete support
- Ideal for heavy sweaters
- Easy to fold and carry around
- It is multipurpose; can be used for workouts, hot yoga, pilates, exercises and yoga and even Bikram
- It may slip after long-term use
5. DynActive Yoga Mat
This is an affordable yoga mat that considers technological advancements in a bid to boost the user’s comfort and needs. It is designed with TPE material- a cool technology in yoga mats design. No more worries, all are catered for in this special and affordable yoga mat. It is free from toxins and environment friendly. It also has a comfortable length of 0.25 inches. Support and cushion are all it caters for.
At the same time, your stability is well catered for. Stay safe with healthy joints! What’s more, it comes with a carrier bag to ease your portability.
- Dimensions: 72 by 24 inches
- 7 mm thick
- Has a carrier bag for easy portability
- Nontoxic and do not have chemicals
- Weighs 2.4 pounds
- Made of environmentally friendly material, free of PVC
- 25 inches long
- Relatively cheap
- Offers maximum cushioning and comfort
- Easy to balance and work on
- Good gripping abilities
- May not grip the floor well during initial stages of use
6. Thrive on Wellness Yoga Mat
With this yoga mat at hand, you won’t even feel the floor anymore. It is highly cushioned. It also comes in an extra thick design to offer maximum comfort and cushion to safeguard your knees and feet. If you have heavyweight, then this is that yoga mat for you that will not distort. From yoga to pilates, you can use the Thrive on Wellness Mat for all types of fitness exercises.
Do you have mild or serious joints and back problems? Well, the Thrive on Wellness Mat is here to sort your out. You are assured of excellent comfort on the floor. Notably, the mat too comes with a carrier bag for you to store and move around with.
- Offers a 1.5-inch extra support
- Product dimensions: 9.5 by 23.5 inch
- Made of sturdy NBR foam material, with a great and comfortable thickness
- Weighs 12.8 ounces
- Different colors to choose from
- Comfortable thickness
- Risk-free with no toxins
- Can be used for different fitness activities
- Ideal for people with muscle problems and pains
- It is relatively cheap
- It is extra thick and can be squishy
7. My Eco Yoga Mat
On the list of the longest and most comfortable mats, this yoga mat measures 74 inches by 30 inches, offering extra comfort when carrying out fitness sessions. Therefore, taller yogis are sorted! You could as well carve out a larger space.
This mat is among the most rated in Amazon and sells the most because of its extra comfort. It is very safe for the environment and does not have latex, metals or any PVC materials that are known for their notorious environmental hazards. The My Eco Yoga Mat caters for excellent cushion, especially for your joints. So, if you get joint hitches in your body, you are all set to go with this yoga mat. It has an extremely perfect thickness.
- With a reversible Jute PER
- Made of natural organic fibers that are environmentally friendly
- Weighs 4.4 pounds
- Dimensions: 74 by 30 inches
- It is environmentally friendly. It is made of biodegradable organic material
- Great texture with no chemicals smell
- Very comfortable, stable and safe for the joints
- May slip with long-term use
8. Liforme Yoga Mat
The Liforme Yoga Mat keeps knees injuries at bay. It has cool and excellent cushioning properties. The long, wider and thick unique features are the reason why most people find it the very best choice. It is 4mm thick to cushion your knees and provides extra comfort. This mat is also designed with a great and equally comfortable grip to avert possible twists during fitness sessions that may lead to injuries and body slides. It is among the most creatively made mats with an alignment for you to position yourself correctly during your fitness sessions.
Whenever you are making poses that need knee bending while on the mat, this is the ideal mat for you, with extra cushion to offer proper knee safety and cushion.
- Has a unique original alignment design
- Made of biodegradable material
- Has a strong revolutionary grip
- Wider and longer
- It is 4mm thick
- Thickness: 2mm
- Weighs 3.5 pounds
- Very long and wide offering a large surface for fitness sessions
- Have unique alignments to enable you to position yourself
- Comfortable working on and highly cushioned
- Comfortable grip ensures safety and firmness
- It is relatively expensive
9. Sivan Health and Fitness Yoga Mat
First, the Sivan Health and Fitness Yoga Mat is very affordable. And it is among the most reviewed on Amazon stores. The mat is designed using a unique NBR material, measuring 0.5 inches. It provides great stability with excellent grips on the floor and keeps you supported during the fitness exercise.
If you are wondering how to sort out restorative and gentle yoga and fitness, wonder no more! The Sivan Health and Fitness Yoga Mat is ideal for such fitness sessions. It offers unbeatable comfort, especially for those folks with mild health problems like arthritic knees.
- Measures 0.5 inches
- 71-inch long
- Made of durable NBR foam
- Available in many colors
- Has a removable carry strap
- Ribbed surface on the inside and smooth surface on the other for comfort
- Measures 0.5 inches
- Weighs 2.1 pounds
- Weighs 2 pounds
- Material: Foam
- It is cheap and thus affordable
- Easy to clean
- Cushioned; hence, it is safe and comfortable
- Wide to cater for comforts of everyone regardless of shape and sizes
- Can slip, especially for heavy sweaters
10. ProsourceFit Extra Thick Yoga and Pilates Mat
The ProsourceFit Extra Thick Yoga and Pilates Mat remains outstanding for its unique and exemplary high-intensity fabrics. Besides, longevity is not compromised in its design.
People prefer longer mats for a wide surface to perform fitness and wellness sessions. And this fits that description. It offers excellent muscle support with paddings. The same is ideal for the safety of your joints during such fitness sessions. The ProsourceFit Extra Thick Yoga and Pilates Mat is recommended that you use them on bare feet to increase durability. You can use exercise shoes or cardio ware if you are used to doing exercises using shoes.
- Portable; roll out and roll up with ease
- Nontoxic; free of PVC material
- Made up of high-intensity fabrics
- Dimensions: 75 x 0.5 x 24 inches
- Weighs 2.8 pounds
- Wide; hence, it has a sufficient space
- One of the largest in the market
- It has padding excellent support or muscles and joints
- Ideal for people with pains and joints hitches at the back and muscular pains
- Relatively expensive
Yoga mats come in different types with respect to their purpose and user’s need. But how do you choose the best yoga mat for bad knees?
Read below to help you find the right mat.
Find the Best Yoga Mat for Bad Knees
A majority of yoga mats for bad knees have several features in common. However, you should be keen on choosing a mat that meets your needs. To help you make an informed buying choice consider the following features:
- Texture: A yoga mat can either have a smooth, bumpy or ridged texture. Choose the right texture, one that best serves your needs and condition.
- Thickness: Go for a yoga mat that has premium thickness. It is important to note that thickness varies depending on the model. The recommended thickness for a yoga mat for anyone with a bad knee is 1/8 of an inch thick.
- Stickiness: Sticky, is without a doubt, good. Look for a mat that will keep you firm during workout without sliding or bumping your knees.
- Cushioned Material: The yoga mat should provide plenty of padding and cushion. This, in turn, aids in absorbing water or deflecting it, supporting your irritating knee. Lastly, check whether the cushion material gets sticky or slick.
Benefits of a Yoga Mat
Yoga mats for bad knees have several benefits, including:
Targeted Muscles Building
Yoga allows you to target the right muscle while focusing on areas you want to build if you are in the correct position.
Allows You to Hold Poses for Long
The best mats allow you to maintain good position without sliding, enabling you to focus on your poses and hold your breath for a longer time.
The yoga mats’ ability to minimize sliding helps you to maintain a stable base while transitioning from one pose to the other.
These mats are specially designed to withstand heavy weights making them less likely to wear when used for long. A long lasting mat saves you money in the long run as you won’t have to replace it anytime soon.
Allows You to Practice Advanced Poses
The yoga mats have a non-slip feature that allows you to exercise advanced poses safely because chances of you slipping are reduced.
Chances of you slipping while practicing a pose are minimized. The probability of getting an improper alignment or more strain to your muscles area also reduced.
Improves on Confidence
Your confidence is boosted when you are fully aware that you are unlikely to slip. All your focus is channeled to your yoga practice.
Can You Do Yoga If You Have Bad Knees?
Yes, it is safe to do yoga with a bad knee. Yoga is an exercise that involves an incredible workout to your whole body, allowing you to relax your mind, body, and soul. You should always listen to your body whether you are doing yoga by yourself or practicing with an instructor. Let your instructor know of your injury, whether past or present.
The goal here is to keep you safe. Get yourself the best gear during yoga, especially a good yoga mat for bad knees.
Whether you have bad knees or not, the fact is you need a good mat for yoga. Based on the above review, you will not only keep yourself safe but also ensure that your exercises are comfortable at all times.
The above mentioned best yoga mat for bad knees will give you need for your practice.